Monday 22 December 2014

Solitary Love- Part 16

One fine day he sat ,scribbling words on the wall with whatever he got ( even with small peice of fallen debris of the poorly made walls. He couldn't keep the words flowing in his mind for long. Unfortunately every year,the walls were white washed and the words he had written would vanish with every drop of the fresh paint on the wall.

It caught  the eyes of person who painted the wall. He didn't understand the language and as dutiful servant to the Englishman, he betrayed his Indian fellowman. He called the warden who read the words. He was quite impressed. However he didn't appreciate the unique gift of this ill fated inmate.

The warden punished him by burning his fingers. But it didn't stop him. He continued to write even after he was badly hurt. Every time the walls were white washed, he would be injured and he still wrote.The inmates of cellular jail got he news of this rebel poet. Though they were in solitary confinement, there were many ways of getting the news out.

Who was this rebel? Why did he write poems on an English lady when she was the main reason to be in this hell? He was indeed love blind. One day, he received an anonymous message from the person who served him his food. " Azadji has sent you message. He will help you out of this prison in one condition- join him in his mission- Azad Hind.", he said. 

" Why me? What use am I to your leader? I am not a rebel like him. I fell in love with English woman . Her men are your enemies. I don't care about Azad Hind. I have no purpose in life. My love is miles away from me. I don't know whether I will see her. Please go and tell Azadji, I don't want to join.", Srinivasan replied with folded hands.


" What! What did you get out of this love? You are here because of her. I know your story. Everyone knows. Don't you dream of Independent India. Look what she had done to you. She has trapped you, young man. Your life will be meaningless if you die for her.", he said , spurning his love

(To be continued)

1 comment: