Tuesday 24 December 2019

The Tenants From Flat No #2 - Part 42

Jasmine had almost given upon on her parents just like other things in her life - career and relationship. She was depressed. Nothing seemed working in her life. She failed to be good daughter, friend, girlfriend or successful hairstylist. She had completely lost hope in her life. Zainab and Tina tried to revive her spirits. They took her out, treated her with her favorite snacks and pampered her all the time. But nothing interested her. She was still gloomy and unhappy.

As she looked out of the window, staring blankly at the clear blue sky after refusing Zainab to accompany her for a movie, her phone rang. It was her mom. "Jasmine, How are you, beta ?", her mom spoke. Jasmine froze. She had no words to speak. "Won't you say anything? Are you still angry with us ? We are sorry, sweetheart. We always love you.", her mother continued. Tears welled up in her eyes, Jasmine controlled her emotions that were in verge of bursting out of her heart.

After few minutes of silence, she broke down,"Ammi, I.. am sorry. You were right. I want to come back home. Mumbai was never the place for me. Please let me come back home. I promise.. I will never break your trust again..." Her mother consoled her and asked her to come back home. She promised that she would convince her dad to let her in. Jasmine relaxed bit though she was still sad.
When she informed Zainab about her mother's conversation,Zainab was stunned. She thought she would convince Jasmine in few days. She wanted to slap her and bring sense to her. But she didn't speak to her.

Zain looked like as if he hadn't slept for days. He hadn't trimmed his beard which had grown unruly and wild. He had sleep bags under his eyes. The spark that glowed from his face had disappeared. He looked miserable. His friends asked him about his conditions though they were aware he had rough breakup with his girlfriend. They wanted to bring back the old charming Zain. He stayed away from everyone and spent most of his time in thinking about Jasmine and what could have gone better between them. He felt more guilty thinking about all impossibilities. 

He stared blankly at computer screen. His eyes burned due to lack of sleep. He stretched to release the heaviness he felt inside him. Then he got up to take few minutes of break. He walked out of his small office to make shift tea stall. While he was sipping hot tea, he heard his name called out. He turned behind to see Usha Tai. He smiled at her. 

"Hi Tai, How are you ? Do you need some tea?", he asked politely. Tai declined his offer but asked him if he could spare some few minutes for her. Zain agreed. "Zain, I am sorry for all the inconveniences I caused you and Jasmine.", she began to speak. He was distraught when he heard Jasmine's name. "Why are you saying sorry ? We were the ones who had caused you inconvenience by keeping a secret about our relationship...", he said almost realizing that he had revealed the truth. "I know the truth. I know Jasmine and you are a couple. I forgive your for lying to me about your relationship status. But I am feeling miserable that I caused some problems between you and Jasmine. Please forgive me for this sin. I got influenced by my anger and see what mess it has created. I am sure my husband must be lamenting me for my sins in heaven.", she said sorrowfully. Zain smiled weakly at her innocence. He knew the real reason for their break up. It wasn't Tai. It was their egos that had messed their relationship.


(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment