Monday 15 June 2020

The Betrayal Story - Part 14

The king was furious. “ He tried to attack us. Get ready with your troops and let’s attack them.”, he sneered. “Your highness, calm down. It’s not the right time to get charged up. Our troops are not ready yet. They need to revive the energy lost in last few battles. But for safety of our people and kingdom, I have beefed up the security at all the points.”  , the wise commander counselled.

The king calmed down. “Fine ! I trust you. Your advises and judgement have always proved right. We need to prepare ourselves well before we face them.”, he said. The commander took the leave and the king went back to Roopali to check on her health. “How are you feeling , Roopali ?”, he asked. “I am fine, your highness. I will always be indebted to you.”, she replied with a smile. The king smiled back . “We have taken care of situation. You won’t be facing any such incidents any time .”, he said and left .

Roopali was smitten by the king’s swift action and concern towards her. She felt a sudden rush of feelings and emotions towards the king. She didn’t understand what it was. She felt nice and happy. “The king has been very generous towards you. I will always be indebted to him .”  , she said excitedly. One of the nurse who was treating her said , “ The king is indeed generous to his people. He has always been devoted to his kingdom.”

The nurse’s words stung her . Her feelings were shattered. She felt guilty for misinterpreting his concern for something else. Suddenly those mushy feelings were replaced by guilt. She spent whole week in pining in guilt. She decided to move out of the palace to feel better. The very first day of next week, she stood out of royal court where the king was holding a meeting with his immediate ministers.

As soon as the meeting got over, the king arrived with his minister. He was surprised to see her waiting for him. He immediately walked towards her and  said, “How are you,Roopali? I am sorry I haven’t  been able to meet you and ask your health.” Her heart pained. Her emotions wanted to spill out. She wanted to say , “You have done lot for me, your highness. And I have started falling in love with you. I can’t mistaken your concern for love. If I stay longer, I may fall madly in love with you.”

She fidgeted with her fingers and shifted her gaze towards the ground. The king waited for her reply. After long pause , she spoke, “I am fine , your highness. I needed you to grant me permission to shift from the palace to new house you have provided me.” The king was shocked. “Why? Aren’t you been taken good care of ?”, he asked. “I... You have taken good care of me, your highness. But I don’t want to be burden to you. You are a king and I am a commoner. I can’t stay here any longer. Please grant me your permission. That will be only favour I ask for .”, she begged. “Fine , if that’s what you want. I will grant you permission.”,he said and left in anger.

(To be continued )



No comments:

Post a Comment