Thursday 26 September 2013

Mi Amor-part 1


The airport was busy as usual. There were many people walking in and out of the airport. I stood with a crowd of people waiting for their closed one or strangers or whoever it is coming out of the ‘arrival’ entrance. An hour had passed since my friend called. He had said that he was at the baggage counter. 
Where was he?  Ah ! These customs stuff! They are so time consuming activities. It’s a era of technology. I don’t understand why they use the usual manual check ups when there are detectors that can do these mundane jobs.

“ Hey Lee!” he waved his hand and called out my name. Ah! My devilish friend had arrived at last. I gave him a huge hug. “ So Mr. Shaggy, how was your flight?” I asked. “ Not the usual boring and long! Fortunately I had a hot and sexy lass in my company…”, he started rattling a tale of his so called hot co passenger.  These guys I tell you! They only care about sports and hot girls. When we chide them about their habit, they would blame us for being too jealous.

Mr Shaggy a.k.a Santino Lopez had been my best buddy since the time I moved to California. We didn’t share good rapport when I first met him. He seemed to be a snob. But one stupid incident bought two different poles together. My name was misspelled from Leelavati to Lee due to one of college administrator’s mistake. That one mistake had changed my gender and I had to share the room with Shaggy in boy’s hostel for a week until I was shifted. Thus this started our journey towards the beautiful friendship.

Now we had decided to spend vacation at my place.  Well ! I never wanted to come  back to India for some reason. However Shaggy’s pestering need to come to my country took a toll on me. I had to say yes to be his tour guide.

As we reached the parking spot, he snatched my car keys. “ Let me drive!”, he said. I gave him a disgusted look. “ But this isn’t America! People drive from every corner.”, I said. He ignored me and simply started the engine.

We were on the road within minutes. He was speeding even after I asked him to drive safely. He didn’t pay any heed to my advice. He didn’t look at the vehicle coming from the other side and took a screeching turn. Unfortunately the car ended banging the other vehicle. I gave him a ‘told you so ‘ look. He hadn’t stepped out on the grounds of India and there he was, already in trouble.


(To be continued) 

No comments:

Post a Comment