Wednesday 13 August 2014

Red Roses- Part 29d


His very presence made my heart jump every second. His voice was rough and rude. He stared at me with contempt. In his eyes, I was already the killer. “ Mrs Gilliard, you say that you didn’t listen to slightest hustle. How can this possibly be?  You were few yards away from the place where your late husband was found.”, he said.


I was searching for words to decorate my lie. But how could I tell him that I killed my husband because I lost control over my emotions and I was bored being his arm candy. I tried to find some lay excuse but nothing struck my mind. “ Ummm.. I … I …”, I stammered nervously.


“Mrs Gilliard was with me. She was tending to my needs.”, a voice said. Our heads turned towards the direction where the voice was coming. It was the same mysterious man whom I had met last night. What was he doing here at my small abode? I was startled and so was detective Charlie. He walked towards detective Charlie and gave his hand for shake as token of gratitude.


“ But Mrs Gilliard didn’t mention anything about you. She had told me that she was home alone.”, curious Charlie said. The mysterious man didn’t bother about Charlie’s remarks and said, “ She is shy and didn’t want anyone prying over our hidden affair. You know the society. They have silly habit of making rumours about two people in love.”


Charlie didn’t seem to be satisfied with the reason. “Well! I think I will bid my farewell for now . I will get back to you later, Mrs Gilliard.”, he said and left me in company of Mr.mysterious. I must say that I wasn’t comfortable with him here. “ You can at least say few words of gratitude. That would be grateful of you.”, he said. “ Thank you, Mister. But I would like you to know that I don’t entertain strangers at my house.”, I said in firm voice.


“ You are an interesting woman, my lady. You amaze me and disappoint me at same time.”, he said. “ Disappoint! How can an interesting woman disappoint you?”, I asked. “You had opportunity to tell the truth to that man. But you didn’t. You pretend to be a saint in front of me but to people, you display your tainted side.”, he said.

( To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment