Sunday 12 May 2013

The hope -part 3




The day she met Ram for the first time remained fresh in her mind. She had lied to her ‘in laws’ that she had to meet her ‘sick’ friend. She scolded herself for being sneaky teenager. “ Am I doing the right thing? How do I know Ram is genuine or not? I should not have raised the topic of meeting him. “ she thought. 

When she finally met Ram, the feeling of guilt disappeared. Ram was not the usual blue eyed guy. He looked old with few strands of grey hair which showed his years of experience in life. They were so similar to each other. Their interest , taste and belief were same. However their lives were different. She learnt that her life was much better compared to his life. She was not alone whose life was messed up.

Their meetings became often- sometimes twice a week. This made her mother in law suspicious about her habitual meeting with ‘sick friend’. So one fine day, her mother in law confronted her, “ Where are you going? Is it your sick friend’s place again? How long is this going to happen? What about your family and child? This has to stop. You are not going today. Ask your friend to treat herself with some good doctor. You don’t have to go often.” Meenakshi wanted to refuse her but she knew fighting was of no use. Her mother in law’s say was always the final one. She couldn’t change that. 

A day without talking or meeting him became painful for her. The admiration and respect she had for him turned into love. She was deeply in love with him. She was ready to do anything for him- even leave the family for which she sacrificed her future. 

She tried to control those feelings. But what could she do? She was deprived of love from her husband and in laws. She was never accepted as part of family. Whatever love and affection she got was from a stranger. She didn’t get any happiness from Amit. She finally decided to live her rest of her life with him and break the dead relationship with Amit.

Ram was perplexed when she confessed her feelings for him. “Meena, I am sorry to disappoint you. I don’t have any such feeling for you. You are like my friend. It’s not right for me to break your marriage” he said. “ Please don’t say this. You know my marriage is dysfunctional. All my hopes to revive my marriage have died. I can give Pia good life if I am with you. Don’t I deserve a better life with you after all those suffering over the years.” she pleaded. “No. You don’t understand. I don’t love you as you do. I don’t want you to have any hopes of being together with me. We can remain as friends. I will be there for you. But don’t simple have any such hopes.”he said. “Fine! If this is what you want, I will not force you. I am sorry that I had such feelings for you.” she said clearing her throat. “You don’t have to feel sorry about that. You are young and naive. I know you will understand my reply as you grow up.”he said.

Days passed after that incident. They didn’t bring that back and remained thickest of friends. Her life became normal and usual. She still considered his advices. Nevertheless her feelings for him remained deep inside her heart. Their friendship overcame this storm. But the big storm lied somewhere in future. Would it go through that one was a big question.

(To be continued) 

2 comments: