Saturday 8 February 2014

Swizz Cheese - Part 7



“Irene ! I’m sorry.  I respect you for the person you are. And you deserve the best. That’s why I feel so bad that I can’t give you my best.”
I did not say anything. I got up. I opened the door and left. He called my name but I did not look back.
He left in a week to Switzerland.
Our exam results came out after few months. I aced almost everything. As for marketing, I was the topper. I was happy.
After a week I got a letter. It was from Switzerland. An acceptance letter from the university in Switzerland.
I was puzzled as I had not sent the scores as planned.
Along with it, was another letter. It was from Daniel
It read:
Irene,
I’m sorry for what I have done. I wish I could take back what I said. I was in touch with Mrs. Gloria and she had mailed me your scores. I showed it to my father who is also the dean of this university. He was impressed and decided to take you in for the program.
I followed a set of rules and codes as part of the dignity of my profession. When I slept with you I felt like I let you down as a teacher. But I did not realize I was letting you down as a person with feelings.
I realize what a mistake I have made. Please forgive me. I love you.
Enclosed in this envelope is a ticket to Switzerland. Your program starts in two weeks. Everything has been arranged. I have spoken to your parents as well.  If you get onto that plane, I will take it as, you have given me chance to earn your forgiveness and love.
I closed the letter. I was in tears.
The day had come. I bid farewell to my folks and Nammi. I hopped onto the plane and left India.
The flight landed on time. I got my luggage got out of the airport. The scene was breathtaking . I took a deep breath of fresh air.
I looked around and I saw him in the crowd. He smiled. I walked up to him.
“Forgive me Irene, I love you” he said, with love in his eyes
I took a deep breath and said, “ Daniel, I loved you. I gave you my everything. But you threw that in my face  for respect of profession. How is loving me a disgrace to your profession ? It was love after all ,not some unforgivable sin. You made me feel like crap. You just left the day after we had sex and I had to literally chase you for an explanation. I just feel, like you said, I deserve more.”
I walked away slowly. He was in shock. I caught a taxi and got in, feeling liberated.
Things went well for me. I completed my program and got placed in a very good position in Nike. I fell in love again with a man who did not think twice about my worth.
I did see Daniel sometimes. We smiled and exchanged few words. I guess he moved on too. I don’t know.
But I will always remember him for three things
One: He will always be my first- the man to whom I lost my virginity, and the first man I fell in love with.
Two: I respect him for his dedication to his profession. He understood my strength and put me in a program that brought the best out of me. He really was a good teacher
Thirdly, and most important, he taught me, that I deserve the best, and I should never settle for anything less.

**************  The end ***************

No comments:

Post a Comment